Wednesday, March 3, 2010

March 7 Blog Assignment



This blog post is a response to the following video by Michael Wesch: http://is.gd/3WVVZ
First off, let me just be honest and say that when I first sat down to watch this video I had just gotten off from work and I thought that this video was going to completely bore me to sleep. But to my surprise I was not bored at all. The video first caught my attention when Mr. Wesch started to talk about the emergence of the word whatever. This really hit home with me because I say whatever on a daily basis. The clip from The Simpsons was a great example, because just like Lisa and Bart, I am not very easily amused or entertained and I get bored easily. But now that more and more technology is rapidly emerging, I find it easier to keep myself occupied, especially with things like my Blackberry and YouTube.
When Michael started discussing YouTube I began to wonder why so many people are engaged in it, whether it be watching or posting videos. I thought about myself and came up with the conclusion that most of the time I end up watching YouTube because I am bored. Sometimes I even watch so that I can learn how to do things and just to see what the rest of the world is up to. And I believe that just like millions of people audition for American Idol with hopes of becoming famous, millions of people post their videos to YouTube with same aspirations because today's society is very self-absorbed. I know that I am, and I would absolutely love to be famous. I have been told that I am self-centered and this video led to me ask myself why. I wonder if it really is because of the evolution of whatever. I love this video. It put a lot of questions on my mind.

4 comments:

  1. You have partially completed this assignment and you are still way behind in your class work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you have so much time to be bored. I don't have time to keep with my daily life much less be bored. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not necessarily get bored very easily. I am so active in dance that in the end all I want to do is lay down and sleep. I like what you had to say about the video talking about the "whatever" philosophy. It was a wake-up call. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the video and I also dont normally like to sit and watch long speeches.

    ReplyDelete